9.23.2010

Movie Review: The Ghost Writer

The Ghost Writer: 2.5/4 stars.
The Ghost Writer is about a writer who is tasked with taking someone's memoirs and write a book about their life. Ewan McGregor plays the part of the ghost writer writing an "autobiography" of the former prime minister of England (Pierce Brosnan).
I didn't realize until the credits rolled that The Ghost Writer was a Roman Polanski film. I'm not afraid to say that kind of put a twist into my perspective of the movie. Although, I'm going to try to avoid spinning this into a moral argument, I do think that Roman is a waste of talent. If he would (or would have) faced his accusers, paid his time and gotten his (really effed up) mistake behind him, he could get back to making films without having to worry about where.
Moving along.
Great acting on the parts of Ewan McGregor and even Pierce Brosnan(!). I had a difficult time understanding the dialogue however, likely due to the poor sound system I was watching on, and the thick accents of the 'brits.' I had to review some scenes to make sure that I could understand what was going on.
I was glad to view a movie that didn't treat the viewer like an idiot, because it really kept me guessing. In fact, there were a few times that I felt downright lost (perhaps because the accents?). But, in the end, the suspense created when you found out the main character was in trouble was very intense, but I was confused because I didn't really know why he was in trouble.
The cinematography was artful, and the location where the movie was shot was beautiful. I am confused though, it was supposed to have taken place on an island off of Maine. But, I don't know how it's possible that it was shot there, at least with Roman directing.
Overall, it was a good film, one worth seeing at least once.

1 comment:

Miss Heather said...

I LOVED The Ghost Writer... one of my favs of this year. I found the film noir aspect of it amazing and Polanski (despite being a perv) is an amazing director. I loved the poignancy of the ending too...